Thursday, February 4, 2016

Updates for Thumbprint Endeavors and Thumbprint Design Services, LLC (AKA, TE and TDS)

I started this blog entry back in November and I’m just now caught up enough to actually finish it and get it posted.  Whew! We all think Winter will give us a chance to catch up and rest up.  
Not so, Watson.

What’s been happening?

Fall was a busy firewood season just as we harvested the last of the garden and all beds covered in leaves and put to bed for winter.  There are sooooo many dead and dying Ash trees because of the Emerald Ash Borer.  That shiny little insect came here from Asia in wooden shipping pallets and has proven to be incredibly invasive and, sadly, many huge beautiful trees are coming down one way or another. Unfortunately, no more Ash baseball bats, while firewood is extremely plentiful. 

So far, (fingers crossed) it has been a pretty mild December and January and those woodworking projects I’d been stockpiling have pushed their way to the middle of my radar screen.  One of my Christmas presents was a big box full of tools with rechargeable batteries.  Yahoo, someone really knows what I like (and that keeps me out of his tools, somewhat).  Needless to say, I had to try   them and so far I made two tables basically using the finest scrap wood I found in our garage. 


The beautiful tabletop was free scrap wood from a sustainably operated company in Wharton OH, Care Caskets. During a tour of their plant last fall, they said ‘if you see something you like, take   it, its yours’.  So I immediately knew that beautiful piece was going home with me and what use I'd have for it. 

The other tabletop is reclaimed wood that in a former life was a window sash in a 100 year old house in West Dayton.   Next up on my project list is to utilize the polished scrap slabs of granite from our kitchen.  I’m thinking perhaps outdoor versions for garden tables and benches.  So more fun things for me to design and more wood working skills to learn as I stay busy while wait for the Spring gardening season to begin.


Speaking of gardening, TDS is starting to get requests for consults and folks wanting plans for new landscaping projects.  Yeah! All those garden catalogues that come in the mail daily are getting recycled and repurposed to help clients imagine the possibilities.  It is going to be a terrific growing season this year!

Where we’ve been:
November 2015:  As a Planning Committee member, I helped out with the 4th annual Montgomery County Food Summit which focused on local foods and ending hunger in the Dayton area.  Dayton is too high up on the list of communities that have huge numbers of citizens that are hungry or suffer from ‘food insufficiency’ as it is called.  Not a statistic that Dayton’s proud of.

I continue to be involved with the Environmental Education Council of Ohio and serve as a Board member and Chair of the Communications Committee.  That means I edit the quarterly EECO Newsletter.

As mentioned above, I attended the Ohio Association of Litter Prevention and Recycling Professionals meeting that toured the Care Caskets facility.

Mid November, I headed to GreenBuild 2015 in Washington DC.  Great learning experience.  Terrific variety of sessions – from deep in the weeds energy modeling techniques to, my favorites , Elizabeth Kolbert speaking about “The Sixth Extinction” that is occurring and “Food is everywhere”, including rooftops in NYC.


No comments:

Post a Comment